Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

CAPP's VITA program offers free tax preparation to residents who makes less than $55k/year. The VITA program's 1040 Team will prepare and e-file taxes to help residents keep 100% of what is owed to them.


CAPP VITA starts Tuesday January 22, 2019.

The VITA program runs from February - April, 2019:

Walk-in and file your taxes at one of two locations:

VITA Location 1:
Community Action Partnership of Providence (CAPP)
518 Hartford Avenue
Providence, RI 02909

Mondays – 9AM to 2PM*
Tuesday– 9AM to 2PM
Wednesday – 5:30PM to 8:30PM
Thursday – 5:30PM to 8:30PM

VITA Location 2:
Elmwood Community Center (ECC)
85 Atlantic Avenue
Providence, RI 02907

Fridays - 9AM to 2PM

*Closed Holiday Mondays

For more information contact:

Wendy M. Heugas
VITA Site Coordinator
401-273-2000 x143

Juan Wilson
Education & Training Coordinator
401-273-2000 x213

Items you need to bring to the VITA/TCE sites to have your tax returns prepared:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

 Social Security Cards

Individuals who need proof of their SSN and cannot locate their card, will need to apply for a *replacement card, which takes up to 14 business days.

  • Replacement Card: Your Social Security card is legal proof of your Social Security number. If you need proof of your number, and you can’t find your card, you will need a replacement card. To get a replacement card, you must complete an Application for a Social Security Card – Form SS-5), which can be found online at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.


  • Benefits Verification letter: If you need proof of Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits, you can get a benefit verification letter online instantly through a My Social Security account. However, Social Security offices will continue to provide verification letters until further notice.

Setting up a My Social Security account is easy. To create an account, an individual provides some personal information and answers to some questions that only they are likely to know. Next step is to create a username and password to access their online account. This process keeps personal Social Security information private.